Image via CrunchBaseFor heavy Twitter users, we are all seeing the communication platform being used more and more heavily as a viral music/taste distribution tool. In my last post, I showed the traffic numbers of some of the more popular music services. One of the fastest growing at the moment is Blip.fm. That information served as the inspiration of my latest mashup... I wanted to create an easy way to request recommendations to be pushed back to me based on a song that I "blipped".
So, a rainy weekend later I present to you the basic concept. Here's how it works.
- just add the tag #recsplease to any "blip" (that gets published to Twitter)
- the mashup monitors Twitter for blips that have the tag/recommendation request
- from the Blip.fm URL I go and fetch/scrape the artist name for the song that was shared
- this "seed" artist is then used to generate an array of similar artists
- it constructs a tweet and replies to the requester with the list of recommendations
The next piece will be to link those recommendations off to a playlist, mix or radio station that includes those recommendations (in addition to trying to optimize the whole thing to be better, strong, faster). Maybe later this week. As always, let me know if you have any suggestions.